Friday, May 29, 2009

Wow…that was fun last night. Wasn’t it? Not really. My basement had a little leak again last night but overall I caught a break. Around 10pm last night Lansdowne Street East was literally a river as were a number of other streets including the stretch of Monaghan in front of our CHEX TV studios. I was almost knee deep in it literally last night. (I decided to kick my shoes off and venture into it the mess live on the 11pm news last night…why do weather guys do this kind of stuff. We’re weird).

Well, here are some rain totals for you:

· May 26th – 0.5mm
· May 27th - 40.5 mm
· May 28th – 34mm
· May 29th - ?? (A bit more to come).

We’ve seen a lot of rain over the last 72 hours and last night we had a bunch fall all at once. I spoke to city staff and they informed me that it was a volume issue last night in that the rain was falling faster than it could be drained away. After that downpour the flooding quickly subsided and within 30 minutes the streets were clear. Over all it wasn’t a huge amount of rain…but we got a lot of it all at once. The good news is that after some showers tonight we should see some clearing. A late day shower (or thunderstorm) is also possible tomorrow but otherwise expect a rather sunny and cool (well cold Sunday) weekend.

No comments: