Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Great "Divide"

As I write this blog (in my lovely air conditioned "Weather Centre") it is 31 degrees feeling like 38 in Peterborough. Hot! It's hard to believe that tomorrow is the first day of September. With September 1st on our doorstep and the Labour Day weekend just days away, I thought I'd show you what's in store for the long weekend. The image above really illustrates the "great divide" across Canada. Now I'm not talking about a political or linguistic divide, but a major contrast in temperatures from east to west. These are current temperatures from around 3pm EST today. Peterborough is more than twice as warm as Regina! There was even frost in Alberta this morning! Well for those of you who are not a fan of 30 plus degree weather...relief is in sight. That cool air is pushing east with the cold front currently slicing through northwestern Ontario. That airmass will warm up a bit before arriving, but I expect temperures to top out in the high teens (maybe 20 degrees) for Friday and Saturday. Overnight lows will likely be "flirting" with the single digits. Frost? No...but a lot cooler than today's hot and humid weather.

No comments: